Legal Business and its registered parent company, Legalease Ltd, are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy in accordance with the law.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 2018 (the “Act”), the data controller is Legalease Ltd, registered at 188-190 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2AG, United Kingdom.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our sites or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our sites, subscribe to any pay-walled or private services, submit information to our research team, or when you contact us to make an enquiry about published material on the site. The information you give us may include your name, address, email address and phone number, personal description and photograph, educational and employment history.
Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site, we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your log-in information, browser type and version, time zone setting, geographical location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit or visits from your IP address, including the full Uniform Resource Locator (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products that you viewed or searched for; page response times; download errors; length of visits to certain pages; page interaction information (eg, scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs); methods used to browse away from the page; and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites that we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (eg, business partners, subcontractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
We may receive information about you from your employer where you access services under a corporate subscription.
We may collect your personal details from other sources, including where emails are forwarded to you or where we receive your contact details in an automatic out-of-office response to an email sent by us
When you register to use any of services on the Website, we may ask you to provide your name and email address and certain other details. We (or our agents or subcontractors) may check some of the information that you provide to us against third party databases to confirm that it is accurate.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We gather this information to allow us to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you (where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes) and to enable us to contact you in the event of any queries. We also gather information to enable us to present features of the Website in the most effective manner for you, to personalise your use of the Website, and for security reasons. We may also use the information to communicate with you on any matter relating to the provision of The Legal 500 service in general, however if the matter is not integral to the nature and operation of the Legal 500 service or the Website, we will only do so where you have consent to be contacted.
On occasions we carry out surveys which may be for research processes relevant to our published materials, for our own purposes, or for more general interest. Participation in any survey is entirely optional. If you give us your consent to send marketing messages we may contact you from time-to-time with carefully selected offers and promotions from us from which you may always opt-out or unsubscribe. It is not our practice to contact you if you have made it clear that you do not wish to hear from us about our products and services.
We may also use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring Website usage in order to help us develop the Website and our service and may provide such aggregate information to third parties.
We may disclose any details as required by law or court order or in response to reasonable enquiries from law enforcement agencies.
Unless required to do so by law (see below under section entitled “Disclosure of your information), we will not release, rent or sell your personal information, other than as part of a sale of the whole or a substantial part of the assets of Legalease, without ensuring that suitable arrangements are in place to protect your privacy.
We may also use information held about you in the following ways:
- to tailor the content that we display to you;
- to deliver our services and correspond with you in relation to our products;
- to notify you of changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or other device used to access our site;
- for system administration and to report aggregated statistical information about browsing patterns and actions which does not identify any individual;
- to store usage logs which may be used by us to provide existing and potential authors, contributors, associations that we partner with, subscribers and clients with firm-level (ie not individual) information about the user base and usage patterns;
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including product development, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
We may combine information received from other sources with information you give to us and information that we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in Section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We will not usually share your personal information with other third parties without your consent, but may do so in the following situations:
- where we share aggregated information which does not identify individuals with potential authors, contributors, subscribers and clients;
- where we are requested to provide information by authorised third parties or regulatory or governmental agencies investigating illegal activities;
- where we believe that an emergency, illegal activity or some other reasonable basis exists for notifying the relevant authority;
- where we use subcontractors to provide the service. Any such subcontractor will use your personal information only for the purposes of providing services to us and will have no right to use your personal information for its own purposes;
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if Legalease Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
- where advertisers and advertising networks require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. Save as expressly stated, we do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- where you register for events including seminars and conferences which are sponsored by third parties or have third-party speakers, in which case your details may be shared with those third parties;
- for analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site; and
- for third-party payment processing services when you make payment through our site. We do not have access to any credit card or other financial information processed by the third party.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We employ security measures to ensure that your personal information is kept secure.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
The Internet is not a completely secure medium. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. We may also give you choices about how we use your information which you can exercise by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
You have a right of access to personal data that is held about you. To obtain a copy of such information, please send an email to email@example.com. Legalease is entitled to charge a reasonable fee this service.
UPDATING YOUR DETAILS
If any of the information that you have provided to Legalease Ltd changes (for example if you change your e-mail address) then please log in to the Website and update your profile where necessary, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we make the change for you.
If you sign up to a newsletter service: we shall use your personal information to send it to you by email. If at any time you wish to stop receiving it, please click on the “unsubscribe” link at the end of the newsletter. Your details will be removed from our database.
PRINT SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES
Where you have subscribed to a print product connected or affiliated with legalbusiness.co.uk we may ask you for certain personal information in order to allow us to deliver our products by post. The print product to which you have subscribed may be delivered with accompanying printed materials relevant to the product. We will not share delivery information with any third party sponsors or advertisers without your express permission.
HOW TO CONTACT US